This is a simple recipe. And as I said in the heading of this post, it’s an Ice-cream base. You can add any flavours you like check out my ideas below.
I make ice-cream a lot because I run a macaron class that needs at least 16 egg whites, so it’s pretty much my go-to recipe for using up those leftover yolks. I’ve even got a refrigerated ice cream machine to churn the ice cream for me. As you do.
Flavours you say?
- I add vanilla for vanilla ice cream, up to a tablespoon or even more for very vanilla. 😉
- Cocoa and Callebaut chocolate callets for Super chocolate (this is my favourite) If it’s just for me, I just throw in a handful of Callets.
- Fold through salted caramel at the end of churning, sometimes with toasted nuts and the like.
- Strawberry or other berries: Fresh, crushed or coulis
I could go on forever with the types I make. Basically, it’s whatever I can think up, or I have ingredients for. Mind you if you’ve seen my pantry you know the choices are almost endless. Hehe hee
- 400 g milk
- 200 g cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 80 g sugar or honey or whatever sweetener you use. (more or less depending on what else you might be adding)
- Thermomix method
- Add milk, cream, yolks and sugar to the TM bowl and mix on speed 5 for 4 seconds
- Set the TM to 90c on speed 2 – 3 for ten mins
- Pour out into a flat tray of some sort and freeze. (you want to be able to cut this into small cubes for your Thermomix to make it easier for the TM. I use a large plastic cake container.
- Once frozen, remove from the tray and chop into small cubes and blitz in your processor
- Place a suitable empty plastic container in the freezer.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until creamy, and the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the milk and cream in a pan and gently beat through. Pour the cream mixture over the egg mixture, whisking to combine, then transfer to a clean pan.
- Return to a low heat and cook for 4 minutes, stirring all the time with a wooden or silicone spoon until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and cool the base of the pan in cold water immediately. Once cool pour into the container you placed in the freezer and leave to set for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, stir it well and return it to the freezer. Repeat this procedure a few times until the ice-cream is frozen.
Flavour combination ideas
Vanilla, tsp of paste in this amount is great.
Chocolate. 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder or more if you like it super chocolaty, I like to add callets too,
Berries, or stir in a hand full.
A few more ideas.
Praline, nuts, caramel, coconut, dehydrated fruits that have been soaked in liqueur, biscuit crumbs, chocolate chips, fold through jam, ok I’ll stop now.