Here’s a brilliant way to get vegetables into the family without them knowing. Make some patties. We’ve all heard of zucchini patties or vegetable patties, but some have some strong flavours that some family members don’t like. These will have them guessing providing you don’t over boil the cauliflower. I choose to use the microwave cause it’s easy and we’re only part cooking it. Make them as burgers or as a side as I have with some pan-fried pork.
The recipe I’ve written has called for 200g in total of cheese. The cheese is used to help bind your patties together and give them a lovely flavour. You can change this for any cheese you like, but the use of some mozzarella is perfect for binding.
I usually have a bag of Pizza Cheese Blend in the fridge. This is great for quick impromptu dinners. I know it says “Pizza” on the packet, but it has so many uses. The flavour of mozzarella is light so having a blend is great. You could even add a little parmesan to give it a little more of a cheesy hit. But any recipe like this is great for using up bits of cheese that are laying around in the fridge. Blue cheese and cauliflower are a match made in heaven if your family would enjoy those flavours.
I’ve only added the conventional method for these patties, but you could easily convert sections of the recipe for the Thermomix. If you want me to write it up for you, let me know.
- 1 small whole cauliflower or ½ a large
- ½ Onion (diced)
- 1 zucchini grated and any excess liquid squeezed out.
- 1 garlic cloves chopped fine
- ½ onion chopped fine
- 80 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp rosemary (stems removed, finely chopped) or ½ tsp dried
- 2 egg
- 60 g breadcrumbs dried or 100 g fresh
- 100 g shredded mozzarella
- 100 g Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tsp salt pink Murray valley salt flakes
- ½ tsp black pepper
- olive oil for cooking
- Wash and trim the cauliflower then place into a microwave-safe bowl. Set for 8 minutes on high. (if you don't have a microwave you need to steam it then let it drain really well you don't want any excess moisture.)
- Heat a frypan on medium heat and once hot add a little oil along with the onion and garlic. Saute till softened then remove from the pan and wipe the pan out with a cloth to clean.
- Once the cauliflower has finished in the microwave, remove and allow to cool a little then chop finely. Add all the ingredients to the cooled chopped cauliflower including the sauteed onion/ garlic and mix to combine.
- Divide the mixture into patties and form with your hands.
- Place a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat and wait for it to reach temperature.
- Add a splash of oil and cook the patties on each side until golden. This should take 4 - 5 minutes on each side
- Preheat the oven to 200°c
- Place the formed patties on a lined baking sheet and bake until golden
- Spray with good quality oil and bake for 20-25 minutes turning once to have both sides golden.
If you like these flavours have a look at my crustless quiche recipe. It’s so easy to make and you can use up leftovers.