What’s going on I have recipes all over my desk. I’ve made a decision to not look at another until I’ve sorted out this mess. So to start clearing some space, I’ve translated this recipe into Thermomix speak. Both conventional and Thermomix methods are listed.
little piles of “I’ve got to try this”, “Tried but needs a tweak”, “this doesn’t work but try…..next time?”, “My favourite…to be converted for the Thermomix”. Gosh, the list goes on. Sounds like it’s neat when I say little piles. Well, I know where everything is Wayne! lol
This is a recipe I tested ages ago, and not got around to posting till now. I found it in the “yum pile”. hehehee
Apple Cardamom Cake
- 2 Fuji apples
- 3 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- ¾ cup ground almonds
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1½ tsp. cardamom powder
- ¼ cup roasted almond flakes plus extra for serving
- Preheat the oven to 175c. Grease and flour an 8-inch pan. Core apples and cut thin slices. Place apple slices in water and squeeze half a lemon into the bowl to avoid discolouration.
- Using the paddle attachment on your stand mixer and at medium speed, beat the sugar and butter until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping the bowl when needed. Reduce the speed to low and add the rest of the ingredients except roasted almonds. Gently stir in the roasted almonds and pour batter into cake pan. Arrange sliced apples in a circular fashion and press lightly onto the batter. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out nearly clean.
- Let the cake stand for 5- 10 minutes on a rack before turning it out. Serve with a drizzle of custard and sprinkle roasted almonds on top. This recipe will serve 12 people.
- Preheat the oven to 175c
- Grease and flour an 8-inch pan. Core apples and cut thin slices. Place apple slices in water and squeeze half a lemon into the bowl to avoid discolouration.
- Take the ¼ cup of almonds flakes and roast in the oven for 10 to 12 mins or pop them in a frying pan but keep an eye on them they burn quickly.
- Put the cardamom pods into a clean, dry Thermomix bowl and turn to reverse speed +5 for 10 seconds.
Viola, removes the seeds from the husks. Clever little Thermomix.
- Remove the husks then grind the seeds on speed 9 for 10 seconds
- Add the sugar and mill for 5 seconds on speed 9.
- Add the butterfly attachment and your butter to the TM bowl and mix on speed three till the mix is light and creamy. Don't skip this bit.
- While the butterfly is spinning on speed 3, add the eggs one at a time, waiting for 5 - 10 seconds between each addition and scraping the bowl if needed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except roasted almonds) to the bowl reduce the speed to 2.5 to incorporate the elements. Gently stir in the roasted almonds on reverse speed + 2.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Arrange sliced apples in a circular fashion and press gently onto the batter. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out nearly clean.
- Let the cake stand for 5- 10 minutes on a rack before turning it out. Sprinkle roasted almonds on top and serve with one of my yummy ice-creams or yours.