Remember my easy recipe for Easy Oven Fried Chicken, but need an alternate chicken dish? Well, how about this for a change? My too easy, oven-baked Chicken Parma. Serve it with salad and chips, with a side of vegetables, or even in a burger bun. Dads and kids love them, don’t they!
Ingredients needed for our chicken parmigiana
- First lets talk about the chicken. I like to use thigh fillets. I know a lot of people like breast, but breast is so easily over cooked, and what happens when you over cook a chicken breast? You get hockey pucks. Trust me when I say it’s harder to over cook a chicken thigh. For this sort of recipe it’s great because it’s hard to see under all that topping. ?
- Cheese. I’ve used little bocconcini and some grated cheese in the video. See the instructions as I don’t just pile it all on at once. If you like you can also add a little grated parmesan to the bread crumbs for an extra cheesy flavour. Because it’s a quick easy dinner you could grab yourself a bag of the cheese pictured below. ??
- Tomatoes (tinned) I use Annalissa Tomatoes. If you don’t want to open a whole bottle of passata (they’re usually quite big aren’t they!) I use one of these. When you open the can you will see that these tomatoes are sitting in a thick tomato sauce. We only need the sauce for this recipe so the rest can go into the fridge for another night.
- Herb blend: I have my own Italian style herb blend recipe but there are many blends that will work providing the dried leaves are small.
- Mayo: Home made or shop bought. If you usually make your own like I do of course go for it. However I often keep a small jar of shop bought mayo in my pantry for emergencies. How did I get on to this mayo slathering method? I love mayo and I often make it. Hubby doesn’t really like it so I have to eat it myself or thrown it out. Chef’s don’t like to throw out stuff.? I know you’re probably judging me now, but try it first. When you think about making mayo what’s in it? Egg, oil, vinegar, mustard. There’s nothing wrong with those ingredients as a coating on chicken? Oh, if you need a recipe for homemade mayo, let me know in the comments. ?
- Fillings for your chicken parma burger: Add what ever you like. Tomato, bacon, pickles and fresh salad leaves.
Chicken Parma step by step
- Start by setting your oven to 170°C (fan forced)
- Then grab a baking tray, preferably one with not too high sides so the air can circulate.
- Line or grease the base of the tray with ether butter or a little oil and set it aside. If you want crunchier bread crumbs a non-stick cooling rack works well.
- Now it’s time to crumb the chicken. Whichever method you choose as in Easy oven fried chicken or the more traditional way to crumb, like in my southern fried/baked recipe it’s up to you.
- Sit the crumbed chicken pieces in the tray or on the rack.
- Add the tomato passata
- Sprinkle with the herb mix
- Add the fresh mozzarella and bake for 10 – 15 mins
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle over the grated cheese. and return to cook through
- Bake for a further 10 – 15 minutes depending on the thickness of your chicken.
If you use a flat tray for cooking, the chicken on the base won’t be as crunchie as the top because the lovely juices will leak out of the chicken. My method at home is to use a non-stick cooling rack inside a tray if you have one that fits. Then sit your crumbed chicken on it. That way, the juices can drip through, and the heat can circulate, making them crunchy all over.
I used my brioche burger buns; in this recipe, I also toast the inside of the open buns to get that extra crunch. I like it that way. ?
Oven Baked Chicken Parmigiana
5 stars tells us you love the recipebecs-table.com.au
- Air fryer (optional)
- 4 chicken thigh fillets
- 1/4 cup Mayonaise shop bought or homemade Don't judge me. Check this recipe out, and think about what makes goins into making mayo…
- 1 cup panco bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese Optional to add to the crumb mix
- 1 cup passata (more or less up to you)
- 1 Tbsp Bec's herb blend you can find it here, or use what you like
- 8-12 bocconcini fresh mozzarella
- 1 cup Melty cheese, choose what you like, or a mix of what you like. it's best if you choose at least one that melts though. approximate
- 1 tomato and anything else you like on your burgers. egg, bacon, lettuce, salad mix
- 4 Burger buns, toasted on the inside and buttered for best results. ?
- Get your oven turned on to 180°c (fan forced) – or Airfryer 170°c
- Line or grease the base of your baking pan and set aside
- Crumb the chicken, using whichever method you like, but you might like to see this one. Then place it in the baking pan.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of passata to the top of the crumbed chicken and sprinkle with some Italian flavours. I used this herb blend. Don't use heaps, and make sure the leaves are small. Then add the fresh mozzarella (bocconcini) to the top of that.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 – 20 mins (depending on the size of your thighs LOL that made me laugh), then remove from the oven and add the grated cheese, pop it back into the oven. Continue to bake until cooked through and the cheese is golden brown.
- While the chicken is cooking get your burger buns toasted, and prepare your other fillings.