There are days when you have to come up with activities for your children. Whether it be school holidays or just rainy days. Personally, I enjoy spending time with them in the kitchen. Easy recipes for students is a great way to keep them occupied, satisfy their hunger, and impart valuable life skills. Nowadays, there seems to be a lack of interest in cooking for oneself. We rely heavily on pre-packaged and takeaway, and it not always necessary or cost-effective.
What do kids like to cook?
The local kindergarten next door come over for excursions a few years back. They loved it. These are the things we would talk about.
- Food handling and washing our hands: The first thing we’d do is have the children take turns in washing and drying their hands
- Washing Fruits and Vegetables: Most kids love playing with water, so washing fruits and veggies can be a fun and helpful task.
- Measuring: This can be a fun and educational activity. You can use it as a way to teach children about fractions and volumes. Or if they’re too young for that, talking about cups and spoons can be fun too.
- Rolling and Shaping: Whether it’s rolling out pizza dough, making pizza quiches, making meatballs, or shaping conrnflake cookies, kids usually enjoy tasks where they can use their hands to manipulate the food.
- Tearing: Kids can help by tearing up lettuce for salads or breaking bread for stuffing or Breakfast Strata.
- Decorating: The all-time favourite. Whether it’s frosting cookies, sprinkling cheese on a pizza or Quesadilla, or arranging fruit on a tart, kids love tasks that let them be creative.
Choose the tasks for your child’s appropriate age, and they will have so much fun.
- Why not make your own chicken nuggets?
- Monkey Faces
- Choc Chip Cookies
- Cornflake Cookies
- Weet-bix Muffins
- Cupcakes that taste like doughnuts
- or a Sconewich
- For older children, how about my free Scone Course they can watch, and do, all you have to do is supervise.
I could go on, but you get the picture. There are loads more ideas under recipes on my blog.