I’m going through my pantry looking at what I can make for dinner tonight. Perhaps you have the same issue from time to time? Maybe some of you out there have some sort of grain in your pantry that you could use for this yummy recipe. Middle eastern flavours are so fresh and vibrant, so lets do a Healthy Middle Eastern Grain Salad.
This healthy middle eastern grain salad recipe is very versatile, you can use so many different grains to make it. You can even swap the grains for legumes if you want. Something like puy lentils would also work brilliantly.
It’s packed with flavour, even if you don’t have any pomegranate molasses – LOL Although I’ll bet any good deli that sells middle eastern produce will have this on the shelves.
I’d serve this as a side, but there’d be nothing wrong with having it as the main meal for lunch or dinner. I hope you love the flavours as much as I do.
Middle eastern grain salad
5 stars tells us you love the recipebecs-table.com.au
- 1 Pot to cook grain (optional)
- 1 Thermomix (optional)
- 200 g Pearl Barely, or other grain of your choice Freekeh, Pearled Spelt , Check out the healthfood store or section in the supermarket
- 600 g Stock of your choice. You could just use water here if you like
- 40 g Olive oil
- 3 Spring Onions, finely sliced
- 40 g Barberries, Or fresh pomegranate, or chopped cranberries or even currants. Your choice here
- 1 handful Washed chopped parsely
- 1 handful Washed torn mint leaves
- 30 g pomegranate Molasses
- 2 tbsp Nuts (pistachios) chopped roughly
- Weigh and wash your grains, discard any foreign matter. Read the pack instructions for cooking.
- In the case of pearl barley it will take around 30 mins to simmer, or TM: Place the simmering basket on top of the lid, an cook in the Thermomix for 30mins/100°c/reverse speed+1.5
- In the meantime, make the dressing. Add the oil and pomegranate molasses along with a pinch of salt and pepper to a small jug or bowl. Pomegranate molasses is a thick substance that will separate so whisk the dressing just before serving and adding to the salad
- Once your grain is cooked through allow it to cool. Then fold through the remainder of the ingredients. You can leave the pistachios and Barberries to sprinkle over the top if you like. Add the salad dressing just before serving.