Well I have to say these Friands look amazing, don’t they? They’re also pretty easy to make once you know how. Make sure you follow the method, read it first before you start and make sure you understand what to do. Doing this will make it much easier while you’re making them.
The first time we made friands in Bake Club some of the girls had a few issues. Here are my tips:
- You’re just breaking up your egg white not soft peaking it
- Don’t have your butter too hot
- Sift your icing and flour together before you start
- Stir or fold in the dry ingredients don’t over beat it
- Your oven needs to be at temperature before you put them in, so I don’t even start making them until it is. After all, they don’t take long to whip up.
After saying all that, which I’ve covered in the method anyway, your Friands will look like these.
Cherry Almond Friands
- 6 egg whites
- 180 g butter, melted
- 120 g almond meal (or whole almonds)
- 240 g icing sugar
- 75 g plain flour
- 100 g white chocolate
- 100 g frozen cherries chopped
- ½ cup flaked Almonds
- Preheat oven to 180 c fan
- Grease a 12 cup friand pan or similar
- Place egg whites in a medium bowl and break up the albumen with a fork.
- Stir in the butter, almond meal, sifted icing sugar and flour.
- Chop the cherries into quarters.
- Fold the dry mix into the wet and sprinkle over the white chocolate and cherries.
- Spoon mixture into the cupcake liners or friand pan and top with the flaked almonds.
- Depending on the size of your friand it will take anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 minutes start checking at 20 minutes, and you’ll be safe.
- Leave to cool in the pan for around 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 200 °c. (Or 180°c fan) Prepare your Friand or cupcake tin.
- Firstly melt your butter. (I chose to use the oven, seeming it’s on and warming up already or you can use the microwave if you like, if you use your TM bowl you'll have to wash the bowl and blade before you continue.) Take it out when melted and leave to cool.
- Place almonds, icing sugar and flour in your TM bowl and mill on speed 8-9 for 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Add egg whites to the TM bowl and mix on speed 4 for 20 seconds
- Add the melted butter back to the TM bowl while the blades are turning on speed 3 this should only take around 5 seconds
- At this stage, you can either pour this mix into the dried mix you’ve set aside and gently stir in, just till incorporated
- Dump the whole dry mix into the wet ingredients in your TM bowl and stir on reverse speed + 3, 3 seconds
- Scrape down the sides add the cherries and white chocolate and repeat on reverse speed + 3, 3 seconds,
- Divide batter between the Friand cupcake liners or mould
- Top each friand with flaked almonds
- Depending on the size of your Friand it will take anywhere from 20 minutes to 40 minutes start checking at 20 minutes, and you’ll be safe.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 mins before placing on a cooling rack.
Want to make more Friands try these
Pin For Later