Sweet loaves, like our Orange and Poppy Seed Loaf, take no time to make, but quite a while to bake. Don’t worry if your sweet loaf takes 40 minutes to an hour to bake, and if a crack appears across the top, it’s still perfectly fine. After all, these are the things we need to expect with sweet loaves.
This light, soft, delicate Orange and Poppy Seed Loaf can be enhanced by brushing with syrup and topping with glace orange slices. Serve it cold with tea or as a warm dessert with cream.
We talk a lot about how I make things in my Thermomix at our onsite classes. I love sharing how we might vary things for new tastes, but still aim to create consistent results. Learning from playing, developing and creating – rather than just looking, is what works for me.
I know repetition makes you good at what you do, but I think a little understanding of the science goes even further toward making you a better cook or baker.
That’s why I’ve developed my own methods for making things in a Thermomix or food processor. You can’t expect the same results when using a different tool.
I’ve created these techniques over years of using, watching, learning, developing and testing. These newer methods I’ve come up with are quicker and easier than the original stand mixer methods; I would never go back to my stand mixer for any of the following (online courses);
Bec’s Orange and Poppy Seed Loaf
5 stars tells us you love the recipebecs-table.com.au
- 1 Thermomix
For The Loaf
- 300 g plain flour all-purpose
- 8 g 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp flaked sea salt or 1/8th tsp of fine sea salt
- 15 g orange rind grated *see tips
- 260 g caster sugar
- 225 g butter softened for stand mixer cold cubes for TM
- 3 eggs large
- 190 g milk
- 30 g poppy seed
For The Syrup (Optional for extra flavour)
- 50 g icing sugar
- 50 g fresh orange juice
Thermomix Method for the Loaf
- Set your oven to 170°C fan and line a 22 x 10 cm loaf pan.
- Weigh the flour, baking powder and salt into the TM bowl MC in mix for 3 seconds/speed 6 then remove and set aside.
- Weigh the sugar and orange rind (no pith) to the TM bowl and Grate for 10 seconds/speed 8 scrape the batter down and lift it from the base between the blade then then set for another 5 seconds/speed 8.
- Weigh the cubes of cold butter and mix 30 seconds/speed 6.
- Scrape down and lift the butter from the base of the bowl again, Insert the butterfly.
- At this stage have all your ingredients prepared and ready to add to the TM. For example, place your eggs in one bowl, milk and poppy seeds in a jug, and have your flour mix ready that you set aside earlier.
- Set the TM to speed 3.5, add in one egg, then take two heaped tablespoon of the flour and add them to the TM bowl through the hole in the lid while the blades are still running add another egg then another 2 heaped tablespoons of the flour mix and repeat again for the last egg.
- Remove the lid, scrape down and lift. Then with all your ingredients at the ready, set the TM back to speed 3.5 and add the dry ingredients and liquid ingredients 1/2 at a time alternatively while the blades are running through the hole in the lid.
- Bake for 45 – 55 minutes or until the temp reaches 85°C in the centre.
Method for the syrup:
- While the cake is baking make the syrup. Mix the orange juice and icing sugar and leave to rest until the cake comes out of the oven then while the loaf is hot brush the syrup on with a pastry brush.
- Just before serving, sift a little more icing sugar over the top for presentation and consider adding some glaze oranges.