This beetroot chutney is a very popular recipe, I often get asked for the recipe so I thought I’d pop it up here for you all to find.
I’ve served this chutney along with other goodies at loads of my classes and I’ve not met anyone that doesn’t like it. It’s pretty easy to make so why not give it a go. Serve it with cheese, in burgers or sandwiches, or with homemade sausages YUM.
I usually serve it during my cheese making and sausage making classes
- 200 g finely diced onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g finely diced granny smith
- 225 g soft brown sugar
- 225 ml red wine vinegar
- 500 g cooked beetroot, diced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 3-star anise
- ¼ tsp ground cloves or ½ tsp whole cloves
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and cook the onions over a medium heat until soft. Add the diced apple and stir in the sugar and vinegar.
- Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the beetroot, seasoning and spices then simmer on a gentle heat for 20 to 30 minutes until thickened and sticky.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately.
- Add onion to the TM bowl and chop on speed 5 for 5 seconds
- Add the oil and cook for 10 mins on 100 c slow speed 1.
- Add the diced apple, sugar and vinegar and cook for 5 mins 100 c reverse speed + 1.
- Wash the jars in hot soapy water and rinse.
- Add the jars to the Varoma dish
- Add the beetroot, seasoning and spices then set to Varoma for 30 mins or until thickened and sticky. In the last 10 minutes of cooking place the Varoma on top of the TM bowl for the jars to sterilise.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal immediately.