Looking for a quick and easy meal that’s perfect for those hot summer days? But what if you don’t want to stand outside and BBQ? Try our BBQ pork skewers in your air fryer! With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of know-how, you can have delicious, juicy pork skewers in no time.
To get that beautiful, caramelized colour on your pork skewers, simply add them to your air fryer and let them cook. The combination of hot air and the ingredients I’ve chosen will give you a lovely flavour and colour. This air fryer tip is a game-changer for making quick and easy meals. Just be careful to ensure that your skewers don’t touch any areas they should. See my tips below under metal skewers.
If you want to make the marinade for your pork skewers super easy, consider using a Thermomix for the task. It’s an excellent tool for creating delicious marinades quickly and easily. Of course, if you prefer, you can always make the marinade by hand.
What did I use?
- Skewers – I chose to use metal because I don’t want them to burn, and let’s face it, it avoids cutting down trees for something you only use once. Metal skewers are cost-effective and come in various lengths to suit your needs. If you’re using an air fryer, it’s best to opt for shorter skewers that can fit comfortably without interfering with any moving parts or getting stuck in inappropriate spots.
- Garlic – I used a large single clove, but if you love it, add more. I had a chef once that said he didn’t trust a recipe that called for a single clove. 🤣🤣🤣
- Onion – This needs to be either grated or chopped fine; I used the Thermomix to chop, then continued to weigh in the rest of the ingredients. But use a grater if you have one.
- Salt– Salt means flavour; without it, these pork skewers will be a bit bland. Salt brings out all the flavours and makes them delicious.
- Pepper – Crushed and fresh is best. I don’t purchase pre-ground but occasionally grind a small batch in my TM (30 sec/speed 10) and add it to a jar. I only crush what I will use within a few months so the flavour is pungent.
- Paprika – you can use sweet or smoked. I used sweet this time, but if you follow me, you probably know my hubby loves anything smoked. Oh, and it will probably taste more like a traditional BBQ if you use smoked paprika in the air fryer.
- Cumin – this is a great spice for balancing out flavours. I know some people don’t like it, but it won’t be overpowering at this level.
- Cayenne (optional) – We must have it because we love a little heat. It’s up to you whether you use it and/or how much the amount the recipe calls for isn’t too hot.
- Barbecue sauce – I used my BBQ tomato sauce, but if you don’t make your own, choose one you like. Makes sense. 😉
- Scotch fillets – I love to grab these from Woolies. They cook fast, and they’re just the right portion sizes. I usually grab a pack of 4, which gives us at least 2 meals, sometimes 3. The price is good too.
So what are you waiting for? Try these BBQ pork skewers (or air fryer pork skewers), and let us know what you think! I’ve also given you some sides ideas below the recipe.
BBQ Pork skewers
5 stars tells us you love the recipebecs-table.com.au
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1 Thermomix (optional)
- 4 Pork scotch fillets
- 1 clove garlic
- 70 g onion
- 1 teaspoon flaked salt and a pinch before cooking
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika smoked or sweet for different variations
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional but not at my place
- 70 g premade or purchased barbecue sauce
- Place the garlic into the TM (Thermomix) bowl and set 5 seconds/speed 6. (By hand – chop the garlic)
- Weigh the onion into the TM bowl and chop 3 seconds/speed 6. Scrape down and repeat. (By hand – chop the onion finely or use a grater)
- Add the salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, and cayenne (if using) to the TM bowl. (By hand – add the remainder of the ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Weigh in the barbecue sauce and mix 8 sec/speed 4.
- Cut the scotch fillets in half longways, then cut into cubes. Add them to the TM bowl.
- Pop on the lid and set for 10 sec/reverse speed + 2.5.
- Allow the mixture to marinate for around an hour or up to overnight.
- Thread the marinated meat onto 6 skewers and sprinkle them with a pinch of salt.
- BBQ the skewers or, if your air fryer can fit them, pop them in there. Set your air fryer for 15 mins at 180°C to cook through.
- Enjoy your delicious skewers!
What can you serve BBQ Pork with?
- Wraps are great for quick and easy. We use them a lot. They’re in the recipe image.
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes.
- Crunchy Cashew Salad.
- Quick Naan in the Thermomix, these are the softest, fluffiest. Serve these with your pork and a salad.
- Asian Pork Salad. You could remove the pork in this recipe and use the BBQ pork skewers instead.