We were discussing in our Facebook Group the ice-creams we could serve at Christmas. There were many great suggestions, which made me think I might share one of my favourites. It’s a great option after a big meal, as it combines dessert and coffee in one. Dinner Parties, Christmas, Birthdays even binge-watching Netflix. 😊
Affogato is a simple yet delicious Italian dessert that combines hot espresso and cold ice cream and optionally a liqueur of some sort. Here’s a straightforward recipe for making Affogato at home:
- Vanilla ice cream or gelato (2 scoops) – I usually make my own.
- Freshly brewed hot espresso (1 shot or about 1/3 cup)
- Optional ingredients: Grated chocolate, cocoa powder, or a liqueur like Amaretto or Frangelico for garnish.
- Preparation: Begin by brewing a fresh shot of hot espresso. If you don’t have an espresso machine, strong black coffee can work as a substitute, though the flavour will be slightly different.
- Serving: Place two scoops of vanilla ice cream or gelato in a serving glass or bowl. A stemless wine glass can add a nice visual appeal.
- The Affogato: Pour the hot espresso over the ice cream. Ideally, do this immediately before serving to enjoy the contrast between the hot coffee and the cold ice cream.
- Garnishing (Optional): Sprinkle some grated chocolate, a dusting of cocoa powder, or a drizzle of a liqueur-like Amaretto over the top for an extra layer of flavour.
- Enjoy: Serve immediately and enjoy the delightful mix of flavours and temperatures.
- Quality Matters: Since there are only a couple of ingredients, choose high-quality ice cream and coffee for the best taste.
- Variations: Feel free to experiment with different ice cream flavours like hazelnut, chocolate, or coffee.
- Presentation: Serve in a clear glass for visual appeal, showcasing the layers of ice cream and coffee.
This dessert is perfect for a sophisticated yet easy-to-make treat. It’s great for after a big meal to impress guests or indulging in a simple pleasure at home.