We’ve recently had a bit of fun with Friands in Bake Club. I’ve always made these the conventional way, but of course with so many Thermomix owners frequenting the school we had to make a method for the TM as well.
This was a little problematic at first but with a bit of testing we’ve sorted it and it couldn’t be easier. Follow the “General Thermomix Method” below when making all Friands and you to shouldn’t have any problems.
- 6 egg whites
- 180g melted butter
- 120 g hazelnut meal
- 240 g icing sugar
- 75 g plain flour
- 1 small Corella pear about 100g (Corella pears are small and firm but out of season for this bake club session, I just purchased a pear that was firm but ripe)
- 12 hazelnuts chopped into halves for decoration.
- "Conventional Method"
- Preheat oven to 180 c fan
- Grease a 12 cup friand pan or similar
- Place egg whites in a medium bowl and break up the albumen with a fork.
- Stir in the butter, hazelnut meal, sifted icing sugar and flour.
- Core pear cutting lengthways into 12 even slices for the tops of the friands.
- Spoon mixture into the pan top with a slice of pear and a couple of hazelnut halves.
- Bake friands for around 20 minutes
- Leave to cool in the pan for around 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
After testing this is what I've come up with for the preferred Thermomix method at Bec's Table.
Preheat oven to 200 °c. (Or 180°c fan) Prepare your friand or cupcake tin.
Firstly melt your butter. (I chose to use the oven, seeming it’s on and warming up already or you can use the microwave if you like.) Take it out when melted and leave to cool.
Place almonds, icing sugar and flour in your TM bowl and mill on speed 8-9 for 10 seconds. Set aside
Add egg whites to the TM bowl and mix on speed 4 for 20 seconds
Add the melted butter back to the TM bowl whilst the blades are turning on speed 3 this should only take around 5 seconds
At this stage you can either pour this mix into the dried mix you’ve set aside and gently stir in, just till incorporated OR
Dump the whole dry mix into the wet ingredients in your TM bowl and stir on reverse speed + 3, 3 seconds
Scrape down the sides and repeat reverse speed + 3, 3 seconds,
Divide batter between the friand tins
Top each friand with sliced fruit or whatever your recipe states
Bake for 30 to 40 mins seems to be the go for most.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 mins before placing on a cooling rack