We, westerners, don’t seem to like some of the textures and tastes of Asian desserts. We are so used to the European flavours. I think that’s why in our local Chinese restaurants for many years you would only find banana fritters and deep fried ice-cream. These days, at some of our many creative higher-end restaurants they are coming up with some fusion dishes that are more in line with our pallets or choosing recipes that would appeal to us more. This is one of those Asian inspired dishes that I make that everyone loves.
Palm sugar, Turmeric and Pandanas leaf Ice-cream
- 100ml water
- 100g of rock candy, crushed
- 120g palm sugar
- 100g black coconut sugar or black palm sugar
- 1 x 3cm about 10 g piece turmeric peeled and sliced
- 1 pandanus leaf cut into 4 or 6 pieces to fit in the TM bowl
- Combine the water and sugar in the Thermomix on 100c, for 10 mins.
- Add turmeric and pandanus leaf and continue to cook for a further 5 mins at 100c allow to cool.
- 400g coconut cream
- 200g milk (full cream preferably)
- 8 egg yolks (remember you can freeze your whites)
- Approx. 250g palm sugar syrup (as made above full quantity)
- Add sugars and water to a pot, bring to the boil, then gently simmer for about 5mins. Give it a stir now and then and really keep your eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Add the turmeric and pandanus leaf and simmer a further 5 – 10 mins. Stirring occasionally. You should have a mixture that looks like thick honey. Allow to cool and steep flavour from the pandanus and turmeric.
- Pop everything in the TM bowl at once, give it a quick stir to break everything up then set to 80c speed 3 for 10 minutes.
- If you are lucky enough to have an ice-cream churner, cool the mix then churn as your machines (manufacturer’s) instructions.
- Pour the mix into a couple of shallow dishes and freeze.
- It will take approximately 6 to 10 hours for your slabs to freeze depending on how warm it was when you popped it in and how cold your freezer is (Don’t put the hot mix into the churner or freezer or you will have large Ice crystals appear as it freezes.) Once frozen, chop the slabs up into cubs and pop back into your TM bowl and process on speed 8 until the mix has churned into ice-cream.