This recipe for oven-baked tortilla is so easy you can almost do it with your eyes closed (just be careful when you’re finely slicing the onions though – hehe). Every day someone in each family has to put dinner on the table. Wheather it is for one, two, or more. Around midday, some of us have to start thinking about, “what will I cook for tea?”.
It might be something that you fancy, something that might please a loved one, or just something the kids will eat without a fuss. But if we’ve been busy all day, my guess is that you want to spend as little time in the kitchen as you can. Oh, and not have any “oh yuck, I don’t want to eat that!” moanings. Anything for a quiet life, right!
The ingredient list
Well here’s one for you. It’s so simple; I don’t know of any child that won’t eat a wrap of some kind, especially one with chicken in it. You may prove me wrong, but that’s just my experience. You can swap the filling to suit, even hide stuff on the inside that some won’t usually eat.
Ok, so this recipe has red kidney beans it in. If you think that might be a problem, just use 1/2 a can and try mashing some of them with a potato masher. Those little red devils (beans) will cleverly disappear amongst the chicken like a sauce. I always leave a few whole, as they have to get the idea that eating good food is a must, but if they do manage to pluck them out, it will be our secret that we’ve managed to trick them by hiding some. 😉
Other ingredients you could add to the fillings would be grated carrot, finely sliced capsicum, very finely sliced celery or cabbage. I could go on and on. Just don’t choose too many things that might offend. The taco seasoning will hide a multitude of flavours trust me. While we’re talking about taco blends I make my own, and the recipe is here, but you could purchase a shop bought one if you’re so inclined.
Bec’s Oven Baked Chicken Tortilla
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 500 gm Chicken thigh fillets cut into bite-size pieces
- 30 gm Taco seasoning more or less
- 1 Cob of Corn (kernels removed) or a small can of corn
- 1 can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 red onion very finely sliced
- 4 chopped tomatoes or a can of tomatoes
- 8 tortillas or wraps (use more or less depending on servings)
- 2 cups of grated cheese
- 1 Garden Salad
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lime cut into wedges for serving
- Heat an oven to 150°c fan forced or 170° conventional
- Using a pastry brush, line a baking dish with the olive oil then spread ¼ of the tomatoes on the base of the pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the chicken pieces, taco seasoning, corn kernels, kidney beans, onion, and half of the tomatoes that are left. Mix to thoroughly combine, making sure the taco powder is spread evenly throughout the mix.
- Take a tortilla, add a line of filling down one side and roll up. Place it in the baking dish on top of the scattered tomatoes and repeat with the remainder till all the tortillas are filled.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the tomatoes and ½ of the cheese over the top of the tortillas. Then pop it in the oven to bake for around 30 - 40 minutes till the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the remainder of the cheese, and pop back in the oven for a few minutes till the cheese melts and starts to brown.
- Serve with a salad, sour cream and a slice of lime if you wish.