This first term in my “Evening Meals ” classes I’ll be teaching my quick recipe and tips for making ricotta gnocchi. So making Homemade ricotta is of some interest because it’s so easy. They’re a bit different from the potato based ones but brilliant for a quick, tasty evening meal.
I may not show them how to make the ricotta because that’s just another step and “Evening Meals” classes are all about Quick and tasty, although it’s so simple they might want to do this at the weekend ready for a midweek meal. What do you think?
- 1-litre full cream milk (don’t use skim or your yield will be too low)
- 250 ml cream (Pure is best, but any will work)
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Line a large sieve with a layer of muslin and place it over a large bowl to catch the whey.
- Add the milk, cream, and ½ tsp salt to a heavy based pot and gently bring it to a rolling boil (yes you can use your Thermomix for this) occasionally stirring to prevent scorching.
- Add lemon juice. Reduce heat to low and simmer, constantly stirring, until the mixture curdles, about 2 minutes.
- Pour into lined sieve and let drain for an hour or so.
- Place the ricotta, in the fridge. It's best to cover it so the top doesn't start to dry out; it will keep in the refrigerator for at least 2 days.
Give it to the dogs, cats, or chickens, they love it. Put it in smoothies or
use it in the garden.
Now I bet you want to know more about Evening Meals Classes don’t you. Heehehee