Green Mungbean Soup (serves 4) A great recipe from Christine.
1 cup green mung beans – soaked overnight or until sprouted (2-3 days)
1 tbsp ghee
1tbsp grated ginger
½ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp Hing (known as Asafoetida in the West)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp @ tumeric, cumin, coriander & fennel powder
½ – 1 tspn trikatru (optional)
2 cups chopped vegetables (optional)
1 tsp. salt
1½ tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. raw sugar cane
1) Soak the mung beans in water overnight or 3 days. Change water twice a day.
2) Drain & wash mung beans
3) Using a pressure cooker – melt ghee and then sauté ginger & mustard seeds over medium heat until seeds pop.
4) Add beans and sauté for 5 minutes.
5) Add remaining spices (except salt).
6) Add vegetables of choice eg leafy greens, carrots, asparagus, sweet potato, zucchini
7) Add 7-8 cups of water.
8) Seal cooker and cook (30 minutes if sprouted – 40 minutes if soaked overnight).
9) Add salt, lemon juice & sugar when cooked.
If not using a pressure cooker cook beans for 1 hours and then add spices & vegetables for another ½ hour – you may need some extra water.
In Ayurveda, Mung Bean Soup has a magical and powerful effect! It helps to balance all 3 doshas. Its spices are part of the medicinal quality of this delicious and nourishing soup. When combined with certain sharp and penetrating herbs, the blocks created by Ama (toxic mucus that lodges in the body over time due to poor diet, lack of exercise and wrong lifestyle) are broken. In the same way that a gun is able to shoot through objects and break them, some herbs and spices have this effect. Mung bean Soup contains many of these spices.
Mung Bean Soup cure:
It is beneficial to fast on Mung Bean Soup. One can start, depending on the amount of Ama(TOXIN) in the body, with 3-5 days of fasting only on Mung Bean Soup. Then add cooked vegetables like pumpkins and squashes, and leafy greens for two days. Finally, add rice for the next two days. And then return to your normal diet. You can also do mung soup fasting for half a day if you feel you have eaten something very heavy. Your next meal could be mung bean soup and even that is beneficial to give the body a rest and eliminate unwanted toxins.
Preparation Time: 1 hour