This recipe makes two cheesecakes or one large. You know you can freeze a baked cheesecake as long as you wrap it in clingfilm then foil. I figure if I’m making one why not make two and save one for another time.
This is a pastry chef recipe that I learnt way back when. The recipe calls for Philly, but I’ve made this with my quick homemade gourmet feta, and it works well.
In fact, I made one for my last open day it was a huge hit. If you love baked cheesecakes, you’ve got to give this one shot.
Bec’s Baked Cheesecake
Baked Cheesecake Degree of Difficulty: Easy Servings: 16 Yield: 2 cakes
Author: Bec's Table
- 142 g unsalted butter
- 107 g icing sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 4 whole eggs
- 142 g castor sugar
- 1,142 g cream cheese
- 285 g milk
- 42 g cornflour
- 2 lemon rind chopped
- 80 g sultanas
- 100 g flaked almonds
- Shortcrust base
- 200 g Unsalted butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 50 g egg (1 x 55g egg)
- 300 g Plain flour
- pinch of salt
- Cream the butter and sugar lightly, using the paddle attachment. All the egg and continue creaming until absorbed.
- Carefully fold in the flour and salt, mixing only until combined. The dough will be very sticky, and more like a biscuit paste. Wrap in plastic and chill before use.
- Cut the chilled dough into manageable sized pieces, knead lightly first to soften, then roll out using dusting flour.
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- Whisk softened butter and sifted icing sugar together until light and creamy. Add lemon rind. In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolk, whole eggs and caster sugar, Slowly add to butter mix taking care not to curdle.
- In a fresh bowl with a flat beater soften the cream cheese ensuring the mix is lump free, mix in the milk. The mixture should remain smooth. Change to a whisk and aerate. Slowly add in butter mix. Scrape down the bowl and mix till the mixture is smooth. Fold in the cornflour.
- Line a 15cm cake ring with a silicone paper (bottom and sides). Roll the shortcrust to ¾ mm thick and cut a base to fit the tin. Roll a thin sausage from the leftover shortcrust and flatten around the side of the base. Par-bake till it is light brown. Sprinkle with sultanas. Pour cheese filling into tins.
- Reduce oven to 180c. Bake till set approx. 45 mins. Over baking will cause filling to crack. Filling when set will be 85c inside.
This will make two cheesecakes, so halve it if you just want the one.